It's that time of year again to change the clocks in November and "gain" an hour of sleep. At least it seems easier than when we change the clocks in the spring and lose an hour of sleep!
But there are still only 24 hours in a day, and there are still adjustments that our bodies must make even when we Fall Back. We need to make sure that our body clock—circadian rhythm—adjusts to the new time.
I speed up my adjustment from Daylight Savings Time to Standard time by following some simple practices.
- To get myself back in rhythm, I schedule my bedtime to be sure I am not operating as if it is a hour earlier than it really is!Routine is key--If you normally go to bed at 10 PM, continue to go to bed at 10 PM, even though right after we change the clocks, your body make think that it is only 9 PM.
- And if I am having trouble falling asleep? I take the exact same herbal supplements I prescribe to my patients that help me fall and stay asleep. Herbs like Jujube Seed and Polygala Radix have been proven to help with falling asleep faster and to promote more restful sleep. IN:DREAM, my delicious-tasting herbal drink mix formula, is a proprietary herbal blend that has Jujube Seed and Polygala Radix, along with 8 other zzzz-friendly ingredients to help you adjust to “Falling Back!”
- I get outside and soak up the sun! Daylight is in shorter supply after we change the clocks so I take advantage of the sun as much as possible. Exercise and sunlight are the best natural mood elevators and they also help with healthy sleep patterns.
- Food always seems to play a role when talking about healthy habits. I pay attention to what I eat and what time I eat. We adjust to the time change if we sleep more restfully and we sleep more restfully if we eat our last meal earlier in the evening—at least before 7—and eat lighter. It is easy during the cold months to want to eat heavier comfort food, but lighter meals are easier to digest and won’t leave you with a food hangover the next morning!
- Speaking of hangovers, I make sure that I don’t drink too much alcohol! It is easy during the cold winter nights to get lulled into thinking that having drinks will be warming and help to ward off the blues. Alcohol often acts as a depressant so moderation is key. If I do happen to over-indulge, I have a go-to fix. My secret? My herbal remedy, IN:MOTION, is not only an effective pain reliever, but also a highly effective hangover remedy! It contains lots of herbs like Ginger and Eleuthero Root that help reduce inflammation, which is a major driver of that “hangover feeling,” Angelicae Dahuricae Radix that targets headaches, and Chinese Date to increase energy. Try IN:MOTION for a quick hangover recovery!
These simple tricks help me to adjust when we Fall Back, and to enjoy the changes of the season. Hopefully, they will help you too!
#fallback #timechange #circadianrhythem #sleep #naturalsleepaid #herbalremedy #indream #SAD #fallasleep #stayasleep #rackupsomezzzz #hangoverremedy